Sunday, 29 September 2013

Simplicity 1590: 40s Retro top w/t peplum with pink stripes

This pattern is a love at first sight for me. After reading some reviews on the PatternReview website, I decided to put my Simplicity 1876 project on hold and work to this top. (Oh Yes, Leanne Marshall’s halter neck dress is my next ambition! I will definitely share it when done.) I specifically bought the pink stripe poplin from a store instead of using my stashed fabric. And the result is amazing. I have also made the view A with floral black satin and it’s different but it still looks just as good. It will be my next post. I have so many tips to share after doing this pattern twice.

I usually sew test muslin for sizing. But this time, I tried to just measure and proof the pattern with my body measurement.

I found a better way for the pattern layout that only 1.35 m fabric (115cm width) is needed instead of 1.70m. Here is my pattern layout. Please note it’s without nap and for size 10 or below.

I shortened the back of the peplum by around half an inch, because I don’t have long legs.

It’s my first time to sew buttons and buttonholes. After learning the functions on my Bernina 440, the process was effortless and quick! It’s all automatic. It even memorises the buttonhole length so all the holes are the same length.

It’s also my first time to sew a collar. I made good use of the tailor’s board I made to press the seam open.

Looking forward to the summer time when I can wear it more! 

Sunday, 15 September 2013

Pleated dress based on Vogue Pattern 1353 (V1353)

I can’t believe it! It’s been three months since my last post. Yes. I have been very busy… work… winter…

It’s getting warmer in Melbourne, which gives me one more reason to finish this dress.  I have been taking this project to my sewing classes for two months!  If it took me any longer, I would lose my motivation to ever finish it. So in a sunny day today, I finally did the zip and the hem. And here it is:

The fitting experience is the worst with this pattern. I tried to make the shoulder straps closer together for narrower shoulders but I just don’t know how with this pattern. Too many elements need to be considered: the pleated neckline, princess seams, armholes and a matching lining (it’s separate pattern piece)… Eventually I just gave up.

As a result, the shoulder straps are too wide for me. When I push my shoulders forward, there is a big gap on my neckline. I guess I should just try not to push my shoulders forward then.

I did the hem facing as per the instruction. It’s a bit more work but it turns out to be great. This is one technique I learnt from this pattern which I can use on other garments in the future. It makes the dress feel more professional inside. It feels more comfortable because it’s lined even below the end of the skirt lining.

Overall it’s a good pattern. I love the pleats and the shape of the dress. I love how professional all the Vogue patterns try to make the garments look. If I am lucky enough to find the fabric with the right print and pattern, I will make another one. 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...