Sunday, 29 September 2013

Simplicity 1590: 40s Retro top w/t peplum with pink stripes

This pattern is a love at first sight for me. After reading some reviews on the PatternReview website, I decided to put my Simplicity 1876 project on hold and work to this top. (Oh Yes, Leanne Marshall’s halter neck dress is my next ambition! I will definitely share it when done.) I specifically bought the pink stripe poplin from a store instead of using my stashed fabric. And the result is amazing. I have also made the view A with floral black satin and it’s different but it still looks just as good. It will be my next post. I have so many tips to share after doing this pattern twice.



I usually sew test muslin for sizing. But this time, I tried to just measure and proof the pattern with my body measurement.

I found a better way for the pattern layout that only 1.35 m fabric (115cm width) is needed instead of 1.70m. Here is my pattern layout. Please note it’s without nap and for size 10 or below.


I shortened the back of the peplum by around half an inch, because I don’t have long legs.

It’s my first time to sew buttons and buttonholes. After learning the functions on my Bernina 440, the process was effortless and quick! It’s all automatic. It even memorises the buttonhole length so all the holes are the same length.

It’s also my first time to sew a collar. I made good use of the tailor’s board I made to press the seam open.


Looking forward to the summer time when I can wear it more! 

2 comments:

  1. Amazing, now I'm definitely buying this pattern! View A looks beautiful to.

    ReplyDelete