Sunday 27 October 2013

Sunflower dress w/t puff sleeves: simplicity 1873

I start to give names to the dresses I sew. I named this Simplicity  1873 Dress, "Sunflower" because it's yellow and reminds me of sunny days.

This is the first Cynthia Rowley pattern I made. I love her style and have bought most of her patterns. I made View A of the pattern with puff sleeves.
I read the reviews and people are saying the neckline is a bit too high for View A. I think it's perfect to add a Peter Pan collar but I did lower the centre of the front neckline by half inch. I love the Peter Pan collar, it’s so cute. I must thank mixtlii on Burda Style for the tutorial on drafting a peter pan collar. I am very happy I found this red/pink/white check fabric from the quilting section as a contrast to the yellow dress.

The puff sleeves are another feature, they are as cute as the collar. Sewing the pleats took a bit of time but it's well worth it. It's also my first time to sew sleeves. It turned out to be much easier than I thought. I highly recommend this video from Threads on YouTube, it's the best tutorial on sewing sleeves.




The pleats on the skirt are also worth mentioning. There are two separate side front panels which are cut at an angle off the grain line which make it flare out nicely at the sides.
The fabric I used is Cotton Gingham. I cut size 8 above bust and grade to size 12 around the waist. I also made a SBA. I feel the dress is a bit too tight. I think when I make it again next time, I will cut size 10 with SBA.

Feel free to leave any comments. Also I am making Vogue 1351. Stay tuned.

7 comments:

  1. Very sweet dress. Love the addition of the peter pan collar. Fits you beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment Margy. Glad to discover your blog. Your projects are stunning and so professionally made.

      Delete
  2. This is so cute! Looks lovely on you too :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute! The contrasting collar is great! Almost makes me want to buy the pattern (I seldom wear dresses)...

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute!! I love that the peter pan collars are a different collar, it looks really pretty!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. THIS IS WHAT I HAVE BEEN SEARCHING FOR.

    *ahem* pardon the outburst. I've been trying and trying to find a pattern for the puff sleeves on a dress like this for a wedding I'm in..... gah, this is so perfect. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...