I made both views, but the first dress based on View B was such a disaster that I couldn't wear it to show you (only because I didn't pay attention to the instructions and did a few things wrong). But the experience led me to a successful second dress based on View A. As I made the pattern twice, I have a few thoughts to share.
|close up on the darts|
I used some sort of medium-to-heavy weight wool fabric. I don't know what exactly it is. It looks like Twill damask? It's thick and has a bit of stiffness so it's very easy to handle. I bought this fabric from a shop in Dandenong for $4 per meter, but the shop closed down 6 months ago. Shame! I used the leftover pink stripe poplin from my retro top project for the contrasting waist band. The cost of fabric is less than $10:
Wool damask: 1.1 meter x $4 = $4.4
Poly lining: 1.1 x $3 = $3.3
Though it's cheap, it feels and looks like a million bucks. It fits nicely and looks well made (I hesitate to admit that). I made some silly mistakes in the process but patiently unpicked and resewed. I made sure the waist joined perfectly at the Zip. It took me two days to finish but could've been quicker had I not made those silly mistakes.
|close-up of the zip|
By they way, Merry belated Christmas. I made a 8kg turkey this year. Lots of work involved. I was basically running between my sewing table and oven this Christmas.
I am hooked on Sewaholic Patterns after the Cambie Dress. I am making the Alma Blouse now.
I am also thinking of Vogue 1350 and the retro Butterick. Stay tuned.
|ideas for next projects!|