Thursday 5 May 2016

First time quilting - A Baby Boy Quilt (Cars)

Dear sewist friends, have you ever been tempted to make a quilt? I took the plunge! Yes I have started quilting! The motivator was my that my friend was having a baby soon and I wanted to make a baby quilt for the new born and first time mum.


I gathered some ideas online and fixed my eye on this design.

To my surprise, I was able to find the ‘car’ fabric from my local quilting shop. The rest was easy, some shades of blue and aqua.
Preshinking the fabric
It’s an easy patchwork for the quilt top. I drew it on paper to work how many pieces of 3x3” for each colour. [pic of drawing] Then next thing is cutting. Of course I added ¼ seam allowance. We all know that a quilt is make of three layers (we call it sandwiches): the quilt top, the batting and the backing. Now that I had made the quilt top, next thing was to quilt the three layers together. This is showtime for my beloved Bernina 440.

Binding 
Binding is the last thing. Please note, different to dressmaking, binding in a quilt is not a BIAS strip. They use straight strips! I found the this video from Missouri Star Quilt Company on binding. What an absolute help!



The quilting clips come in very handy when binding
 

Add the verdict is....


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...